A few weeks ago I made some muesli bars that the boys actually ate. I’ve been buying bars for a while now as I haven’t been able to recreate them at home. In my attempt to cut out the preservatives that go into my families bodies, I ended up studying the ingredients and on first attempt, got a pretty good match. I played around with the recipe afterwards with horrible outcomes, so have gone back to the first recipe.
I promised some friends I’d share the recipe so here it is. I made them in the Thermomix but you could do it in any mixer. These are the easiest thing to make too, they only took a minute to make the mixture.
Justicemum’s Oat Bars
Makes: about 12 large bars.
What you need:
- 100gm rolled oats
- 100gm wholemeal plain flour
- 30gm butter
- 40gm brown sugar
- 30gm coconut (shredded or desiccated)
- 20-30gm golden syrup
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bi-card
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp xanthan gum (optional)
- 100gm choc chips
What you do:
- Pre-heat oven to 180oC.
- Line a flat tray with baking paper.
- Put all ingredients except choc chips in mixing bowl.
- Mix reverse/speed 5/10 sec or until it is all mixed and looks like dough.
- Add choc chips and mix reverse/speed 3/5 sec
- Flatten mixture on tray until about 1cm thick. Press into a square so the edges are straight.
- Bake in oven for 10 mins or until golden brown. Let it cool for about 10 minutes and cut into bars.
- Store in an air tight container for 5-7 days (if they last that long)
These are great for lunch boxes.
If you want you can add nuts if they aren’t being taken to school/playgroups.
You could add macadamia nuts, walnuts, dried cranberries, mixed seeds, chia seeds, or anything you like for a different taste.
*Please don’t steal my recipes, you can share it but all I ask is for a link back to this page and given credit. Thanks.